Type Here to Get Search Results !

Canelo Alvarez decisions Jaime Munguia in title defense

 Menu

Canelo Alvarez decisions Jaime Munguia in title defense

play
Canelo drops Munguia on the way to win in Las Vegas 

LAS VEGAS -- The boisterous, surprising support for Jaime Munguia was swiftly extinguished with a patented Canelo Alvarez combination on Saturday, a left hook followed by a right uppercut that planted the challenger on the canvas for the first knockdown of his 44-fight career.

Alvarez, boxing's top star, continued to build momentum after that fourth-round knockdown and won the fight with his cleaner, sharper, harder shots to retain his undisputed super middleweight championship in an all-Mexican battle on Cinco de Mayo weekend before 17,492 at T-Mobile Arena.

Alvarez's fourth successful defense of his four 168-pound titles was made official via scores of 115-113, 117-110 and 116-111. ESPN scored it 118-109. This was the third consecutive fight that Alvarez (61-2-2, 39 KOs) scored a knockdown. He also dropped Jermell Charlo and John Ryder in decision wins last year.

"I'm very proud that all the Mexicans are here watching us," Alvarez, ESPN's No. 4 pound-for-pound boxer, said. "... He's a great fighter. He's strong, he's smart. ... But he's a little slow. I can see every punch. Sometimes he got me because I get so confident. ... I did really good and I feel proud about it. ... I'm the best fighter right now for sure."

Munguia, the former junior middleweight titleholder, was competing on the elite level of the sport for the first time. And he no doubt acquitted himself well. The 27-year-old from Tijuana fought with passion and showed an improved jab in his second fight with Hall of Fame trainer Freddie Roach.

The pressure and aggression of Munguia was effective over the first two rounds, but Alvarez eventually timed his opponent, as he usually does. "I take my time," Alvarez said. "That's why I have a lot of experience. ... I have 12 rounds to win the fight and I did."

Post a Comment

0 Comments
* Please Don't Spam Here. All the Comments are Reviewed by Admin.

Top Post Ad

Below Post Ad